Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Why Mayberry?

So why am I running to Mayberry you may ask? Well it is quite simple I was born in the early 1960s so I grew up in a much simpler time and place, much like Mayberry, N.C. I am also a huge fan of TAGS (The Andy Griffith Show).

On February 12, 1962 a year before I was born the 51st episode of TAGS aired. It was titled "A Medal for Opie." As some of you may recall in this episode Opie dreams of winning the 50 yard dash in the town Field Day. He was so sure he would win that he put all his eggs in the one basket and only entered that event. Opie trained hard with Barney as his coach and could just taste the thrill of victory as the day approached.

Well as fate or the TV writers would have it Opie not only did not win the race he finished in a miserable last place. Then instead of celebrating with all the participants he sulked away angry and disappointed that he did not get "HIS MEDAL." This became a teaching moment for Andy on how to be a gracious loser (or winner). Andy would have been proud of his son win or lose if he tried his best, but he was disappointed in his only son's attitude after the loss.

So why did this episode cross my mind as I ran? I think that we all do a number of things in our life for our own glory and the admiration of our fellow man. I began running to improve my overall health and endurance and to lose weight. I have began to receive encouragement from others, but also feel better about myself during the training.

But this new venture in running should not be about me it should be like everything else in my life to glorfy God. A passage of scripture that has been motivation for this physical and spiritual journey I have been on is Hebrews 12:1-2.

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us,
let us also lay aside every encumberance, and the sin which so easily entangles us,
and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of faith who for
the joy set before Him endured the cross,
despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
So in this race of life it is not about me it is about Jesus and what he endured for my sake and for yours. So as I run let me run for the Glory of my God. And Lord please take me back to a place called Mayberry!

No comments:

Post a Comment