Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Fundamentals of Fishing (Patience)

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to spend the better part of Saturday with my Dad. We went to the 40th Bassmaster Classic in Birmingham to watch a bunch of men and one woman weigh-in some green fish. I know that does not sound exciting, but almost 20 years ago when we were both much younger we were in the same building watching some of these same men weigh-in the Great-Grandparents of these fish we were seeing this day.

Something else that was cool was knowing that these fish were being caught in the same water (Bees Wax Creek on Lay Lake) that my Dad and I had fished before. So why am I blogging about some dumb fish? Well it is not really about the fish it is about the experience and the memories. Sitting there with my Dad watching this show I could think back over many great times we had together on the water; some days catching lots of fish and some days not even getting a bite. Have you ever heard it said, "that is why they call it fishing....not catching?" Well it is true, on of the best things about fishing with a friend, especially your Dad is time together just talking.

So what are the fundamentals of fishing? Well some may say it is the tackle or gear. While learning to tie the right knot on the hook is very important and having the best rod and reel is nice it is not the key ingredient I am looking for.

Some may say it is the bait. And having the right bait and knowing what the fish wants is important. It is also important to know how to bait the hook correctly.

Knowing the right place to fish is also crucial to success; not just the right lake, but the right part of the lake (depth, cover and clarity). Is making the right presentation they key? Maybe, but I am looking for something else.

The key to fishing, friendship and parenting I think is PATIENCE. In fishing you have to learn to wait and hope for a bite and even if it does not come you learn to enjoy the experience. In friendship you learn to accept each other for who you are and love each other even when they may not make the move you want when you want it. In parenthood you learn to be patient because the everyday trials, tests and disapointments will come.

I know my Dad loves me because of the patience he showed when he took me fishing. There are so many times that I did some pretty 'Bone-Headed" things and he kept taking me anyway. I have so many memories and I know he does too of trips that were very trying for him that are funny now but at the time could not have been funny.

I hope he has all the great memories that I have. I have memories of my own daughters' first fishing trips with me and trips with me and PaPaw. I hope when they are my age they remember fishing trips with their PaPaw and Daddy.

In the book "Love Languages" by Gary Chapman one of the 5 Love Languages is Quality Time. And it is one of my primary languages. I know because I took the test. Don't worry you can't fail. So if you haven't been fishing with someone you love lately go on down to the Fishin Hole! One of Andy and Opies favorite places was Myers Lake and many life lessons were taught and learned by Andy whether in Gertrude (the rowboat) or on the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment